Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Graduation / Friday Mashup #3

I felt like making a card this morning, so I figured I'd give Friday Mashup a try. The challenge this time was "Black and White and Square", which it turns out, was really quite a challenge! Working with the clean, crisp sterility of black and white is, if you hadn't noticed, very different from what I usually do. I think I generated more scraps on this card than on my last 4 combined! Anyway, without further ado, here is the card:


I went with a graduation theme, because it's timely and seemed to fit the color palette pretty well. It was also a great opportunity to bust out my Notes and Details set. (You will note that I haven't used any words from this set. That's because I accidentally ordered the set in Spanish, and shipping to exchange it for the English one was too much to justify! So I gave the Spanish words to my friend Heather who works on Spanish-English translation, Hopefully she will find many great uses for them! And lesson learned on my part: always double check the order!) Here's a detail shot:


The "H" is from the Monogram Sweet Alphabet, and I used the curlicue from the Notes and Details set in grey to add a little extra flair. For the notebook edge, I punched the side with the Spiral Border punch, and then tore little pieces off to emulate the hastily-ripped-from-a-notebook look. Here's a link to the challenge:


And the supplies:

Paper: Textured Basic Black CS, Textured Whisper White CS, Smooth Whisper White CS
Stamps: Notes and Details, Monogram Sweet Alphabet, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Ink: Jet Black Stazon, Basic Grey Stampin' Write Marker
Extras: Black Mini Library Clip, Spiral Border Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals

7 comments:

  1. Great card, you did a fantastic job with the challenge!! I love how you tore the edges to make it look like it was torn out of a notebook quickly, thats a great touch! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You card has a great "school" feel with the binding edge and clip! Thanks so much for playing with us at the Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon,
    What a clever way to use this set! I love that the stamped notebook paper at the front allows you a space to put a personal note. Thanks for joining us at the Mashup!
    Smiles,
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun use of those elements for a grad card! Thanks for playing along with the Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jon, This would look fantastic as a scrapbook page, I like all the elemtents and how you made them work on your card. So glad you joined us at the Friday Mashup, hope to see you again! Cheers, Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. JonJames, thanks so much for stopping in at Studio B to comment on this weeks mashup entry. Had a look around your blog and I like your style. Very colorful with a manly feel :)

    Take care,
    Studio B

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great graduation card.. it could also double as a scrap page as well of the graduate.. Great take on the challenge this week. Thanks for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete